New GUI name: calypso, umami, ... ?
Sebastien Cevey
2009-05-14 16:57:34 UTC
Hej people,

So we have various comments, mostly positive, to "Calypso" and an
alternative proposition by anders, "umami".

Can we have everyone express their opinion on the choice, if they care?
Just say which one you prefer, which one you wouldn't mind, which one
you'd rather die than hear.

Personally, I like both. Calypso is more colourful and warm, with
multiple references we could play on (for better or worse), while
umami is more unique and geeky, but also more abstract and not
necessarily known by all (I didn't know it). Both seem to be the name
of shitty bands anyway.

How about you?
--
theefer

Tenno Seremel
2009-05-14 18:42:32 UTC
I'd go with "Calypso". Reminds me of Greek mythology.
While I don't have any associations with "umami".

Cucu Ionut
2009-05-16 06:32:35 UTC
Post by Tenno Seremel
I'd go with "Calypso". Reminds me of Greek mythology.
While I don't have any associations with "umami".
I'm kinda developing a client myself, goes very slow since I'm new to
programing and have little spare time. I named it celibidache after a known
romanian orchestra director:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celibidache
but I guess it might not be your
style.

Anthony Garcia
2009-05-15 14:41:12 UTC
Post by Sebastien Cevey
Hej people,
So we have various comments, mostly positive, to "Calypso" and an
alternative proposition by anders, "umami".
Can we have everyone express their opinion on the choice, if they care?
Just say which one you prefer, which one you wouldn't mind, which one
you'd rather die than hear.
Personally, I like both. Calypso is more colourful and warm, with
multiple references we could play on (for better or worse), while umami
is more unique and geeky, but also more abstract and not necessarily
known by all (I didn't know it). Both seem to be the name of shitty bands
anyway.
I prefer calypso because of the reasons above and the things that
come to mind when seeing it. I've heard of umami, and I don't think of much
else when I come across it besides "taste" (i.e. good taste), but that's
going to be a given with the awesome client. Otherwise it wouldn't be
awesome.
Post by Sebastien Cevey
How about you?
If we go with another name, including umami, I would like to see a recursive
acronym. Not only because Eclipser would love it, everyone would.

Umami Means an Acronym of Much Interest
Post by Sebastien Cevey
--
theefer
Please don't send me Word, Access, PowerPoint, or Excel attachments.
9467 6082 8A35 2E1E 2D6B 76C4 5E9A ED56 076F 9E89
Juho Vähä-Herttua
2009-05-15 16:56:30 UTC
Post by Anthony Garcia
If we go with another name, including umami, I would like to see a recursive
acronym. Not only because Eclipser would love it, everyone would.
Umami Means an Acronym of Much Interest
If it really has to be recursive, it of course should be mutually
recursive like HURD. That would also better describe how XMMS2
constantly redesigns itself and when it once gets to a stable state
there is already a big change on radar, just like our beloved HURD. ;)

No but more seriously, I think Calypso sounds actually pretty good.

Juho

Igor Ribeiro de Assis